Veggie Soup and Buttermilk Biscuits

. Sunday, October 27, 2019 .
We ate out of the freezer tonight with this soup.  Whatever we had is what was in the soup.  I found some stew beef, a package of frozen veggies and frozen lima beans.   I looked in the veggie drawer and found some leftover pepper slices and a few baby carrots.  Just chopped them up and threw them in.  Then I added a can of green beans and 1/2 an onion.  I used whatever chicken broth was left in the carton and a can of tomato sauce.  Of course, salt and pepper along with some oregano and three cloves of minced garlic.  I cooked it on low for about 8 hours.  It smelled wonderful all day!

Buttermilk Biscuits
This is my second attempt at buttermilk biscuits from scratch in one day.  We had them for breakfast.  They were okay but not browned on the top.  The second attempt was better.  I moved the rack up and brushed the tops with butter before I put them in the over to bake and then again when they came out.  Delicious.  Fluffy.  Melt in your mouth good.

2 cups of self-rising flour
1/4 cup of Crisco
3/4 cup of buttermilk

Pour the buttermilk in the well that you make in the flour.  I mix with my hands.  Mix until the dough comes off the side of the bowl.  Put it out on a floured countertop and roll until it is 1/2 thick.  The flip it upon itself.  Roll again and flip another 4 times.  That will make it flaky.  Then roll into an 8-inch circle and cut with a biscuit cupper or a glass.  I sprayed an iron skillet and placed them almost toughing.  Bake in the oven at 475 degrees for 8-10 minutes.



We ate out of the freezer tonight with this soup.  Whatever we had is what was in the soup.  I found some stew beef, a package of frozen veggies and frozen lima beans.   I looked in the veggie drawer and found some leftover pepper slices and a few baby carrots.  Just chopped them up and threw them in.  Then I added a can of green beans and 1/2 an onion.  I used whatever chicken broth was left in the carton and a can of tomato sauce.  Of course, salt and pepper along with some oregano and three cloves of minced garlic.  I cooked it on low for about 8 hours.  It smelled wonderful all day!

Buttermilk Biscuits
This is my second attempt at buttermilk biscuits from scratch in one day.  We had them for breakfast.  They were okay but not browned on the top.  The second attempt was better.  I moved the rack up and brushed the tops with butter before I put them in the over to bake and then again when they came out.  Delicious.  Fluffy.  Melt in your mouth good.

2 cups of self-rising flour
1/4 cup of Crisco
3/4 cup of buttermilk

Pour the buttermilk in the well that you make in the flour.  I mix with my hands.  Mix until the dough comes off the side of the bowl.  Put it out on a floured countertop and roll until it is 1/2 thick.  The flip it upon itself.  Roll again and flip another 4 times.  That will make it flaky.  Then roll into an 8-inch circle and cut with a biscuit cupper or a glass.  I sprayed an iron skillet and placed them almost toughing.  Bake in the oven at 475 degrees for 8-10 minutes.



No comments

Post a Comment

newer older Home